TRUTH BOMBS: This is a Good, well documented article. Christians beware of this book.
Article: There are commendable things about the message of The Shack. In some areas, the author offers hope and compassion that is Biblical.
Unfortunately, author Wm Paul Young admits he isn’t comfortable with some Biblical teachings, specifically the Bible’s teaching that only those who follow Christ are saved (The Doctrine of “The Shack” Author, in His Own Words)
I would not recommend The Shack to an unbeliever or new Christian because of the book’s presentation of Universal Salvation. And I strongly urge all Christians exercise caution and discernment when reading it.
Fictional representations of God can never perfectly represent God, but the representations of Father, Son and Spirit in The Shack are in riddled with Biblical error.
The list below is not all inclusive, but I’ve listed five characteristics of The Shack’s god that warrant our attention. Scroll down to read about each point with full Scripture references and helpful resources to study these subjects further.
- The Shack’s god doesn’t punish people.
- The Shack’s god says punishment is never about destruction.
- The Shack’s god says he has no expectations for anyone.
- The Shack’s god is never disappointed in anyone.
- The Shack’s jesus denies his life is meant to be an example for others.